[Chicago] Open Source Time Donation?

Ted Pollari tcp at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 21:57:56 CEST 2007

On Sep 6, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Peter A. Harkins wrote:

> They can write off the costs of your transportation or materials
> you spend
> while doing the work, but not the cost of your time, no. In general
> you
> have to donate specific tangible things for a deducation, not time
> or a
> service.

Is code considered tangible?  I mean, in point of fact, since coders
are paid to produce code and many companies contend that code you
write on their time is their property, then it seems like the sponsor
company could simply donate the code written at some standardized
market value for the software... but I'm sure that all conflicts with
reality, right?

-ted