[Chicago] Census?

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Sep 28 16:51:59 CEST 2007

On 9/26/07, Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this topic comes up constantly, but I'm interested in any data
> (anecdotal or otherwise) on how difficult (or easy) it is to hire a
> good Python web developer in Chicago.
>
> *Specifically*
>
> *) How tough is it to hire a Python Django developer?
>
> *) Is it easier (and / or cheaper) to hire a Rails developer?
>
> *) Is it easier (cheaper) to hire a PHP developer?
>
> *) Pretend you're a freelancer, justify writing an web application in
> [the python web framework of your choice] to a potential Chicago-land
> client that won't use your services for the long term life of the
> application.  They want you to write it, and walk away.  How will they
> support the app once you've left?
>
> Any thoughts on how to quantify these sorts of questions is welcome
>
> Chris
>
> PS. .  Yes, you're doing my homework for me.

Hey Chris, what is motivating your poll? Are you going to be making a
pitch to your boss for using a python framework?

If so,

I think you should go with the attitude that any good programmer would
do, though you'd want to get one that has experience with scripting
languages and experience working on someone else's code or with a team
of coders. That way you'll end up with someone who can write code that
is in scripting idiom, and will be conscientious of the fact that
other people have to come along to work on the code later.

Rails: it would probably be easier right now to find people who will
apply for a Ruby job since it's very trendy.

Ps. I hate people with bad code hygiene. Don't hire anyone who will
fuck up the mainline.

--
sheila