[Chicago] Fwd: Flourish 2008 Information and Directions

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:37:50 CEST 2008

Hello All,

 Flourish Conference 2008 starts tomorrow!  Flourish 2008 will run
from Friday, April 4th till Saturday, April 5th.  Everything seems to
be coming together and everyone on the Flourish Team believes we are
about to put on a great confererence for you.  We have 16 speakers, 6
special events and activities and currently over 325 registered
attendees.  If you know someone who has yet to register for Flourish
2008 who would like to take advantage of our free online registration,
that person should sign up by 8:30 PM today!

 The directions for how to get to UIC and Flourish 2008 are posted
below this e-mail message.  You can also refer to our venue page for
the directions, a campus map, a link to the Flourish 2008 location in
Google Maps and pictures of event locations.  The venue page is
located here:  http://www.flourishconf.com/venue/.

 We would like to bring to your attention that the Flourish 2008
Schedule has changed considerably in the last few days.  Yesterday we
added a new speaker and changed a couple of speech times.
Unfortunately, these changes will not be reflected in your Flourish
2008 phamplet (although we may provide a corrective insert).  You can
see the updated Flourish 2008 schedule here:
http://www.flourishconf.com/schedule/.

 One event we particularly would like to bring to your attention is
the Code for a Cause Hack-a-thon.  The Code for a Cause Hack-a-thon is
a great way to get involved with writing open source software while
performing an act of community service.  Dozens of open source
developers and enthusiasts will collaborate to build open source
websites and applications for local non-profit organizations.
Projects include an interactive map of homeless shelters in Chicago, a
website for a reforestation program in Ethiopia and a Facebook widget
framework for raising awareness about critical social issues.
Volunteers of all skill levels and backgrounds (including development,
design, documentation, etc.) are welcome to attend!

 See you soon,
 The 2008 Flourish Team

 Directions to Flourish 2008:

 By CTA Train:

   1. Take the CTA Blue Line to the UIC Halsted station.
   2. Walk east to the Halsted St. exit.
   3. Once on Halsted St., turn right and walk south past Harrison St.
to Polk St.
   4. Turn right (west) and enter UIC Student Center East (SCE).
   5. Take the escalators up to the third Floor of the building to
enter the registration area.

 By CTA Bus:

   1. Take CTA #8 Halsted Bus to Polk St.
   2. Exit at Polk St. and enter UIC Student Center East (SCE)
   3. Take the escalators up to the third Floor of the building to
enter the registration area.

 By Car from I-90 West (Dan Ryan Expressway West):

   1. From westbound I-90, turn off at Exit 52B (Roosevelt Rd./Taylor St.).
   2. Continue north past Roosevelt Rd.
   3. Turn left (west) on Taylor St.
   4. Cross over the bridge and turn right (North) into the UIC
Halsted Street Parking Structure. Parking costs about $12 on Friday
and $7 on Saturday. When entering the parking structure, use the left
most lane unless you happen to have a parking permit.
   5. Walk northwest to Polk St. and Halsted St., cross the street and
enter UIC Student Center East (SCE).
   6. Take the escalators up to the third Floor of the building to
enter the registration area.

 By Car from I-90 East (Dan Ryan Expressway East):

   1. From eastbound I-90, turn off at Exit 52A (Taylor St./Roosevelt Rd.).
   2. Turn right (west) on Taylor St.
   3. Turn right (north) into the UIC Halsted Street Parking
Structure. Parking costs about $12 on Friday and $7 on Saturday. When
entering the parking structure, use the left most lane unless you
happen to have a parking permit.
   4. Walk northwest to Polk St. and Halsted St., cross the street and
enter UIC Student Center East (SCE).
   5. Take the escalators up to the third Floor of the building to
enter the registration area.

 By Car from I-290 East (Eisenhower Expressway East):

   1. From eastbound I-290, exit onto I-90 East.
   2. Before merging onto I-90, turn off at Exit 52A (Taylor St./Roosevelt Rd.).
   3. Turn right (west) on Taylor St.
   4. Turn right (north) into the UIC Halsted Street Parking