[Chicago] Google App engine is python powered

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Tue Apr 8 21:31:01 CEST 2008

EC2's a fantastic roll-your-own compute grid. It doesn't make as much sense for web apps.

Regarding scale and availability, Amazon has only just started to broach the topic distributed applications with Elastic IP Addresses and Availability Zones. Nothing comes out of the box in EC2 -- you have to build your architecture piece by piece. As I'm in the middle of it, I can tell you it's real work.

Google is higher in the stack with AppEngine. You provide the code, they provide the application services. Unless you're building non-traditional web apps or have the time to reinvent canonical architectures, this is what you want as a developer.

Sandboxing in Python is utterly trivial if you embed the interpreter. (Embedding the interpreter is pretty damn easy too :)

And for the record, wetting ones pants is actually a lot of fun once you get over the whole "social thing".