[Chicago] Chance to try out AppEngine (and make my life easier)

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 10:03:46 CEST 2008

When I wrote the email to the group today I had a feeling you're going
to just magically write the whole thing in a few hours :)
It's definitely a step in the right direction, and while quite
different from what I envision I will certainly use this until I get
something working myself (it's way better than the current metra
interface). Any chance you'd like to share a dump of your database
(and save me the hassle of parsing their website)?

- Cosmin

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Massimo Di Pierro
<mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> The database is rather small and it was not such a difficult project
>  using web2py (99 lines of code) so I just made it.
>  Turns out the use of SQL IN and LIKE operators are crucial for this
>  project and they are not supported by google appengine.
>  You should pick another project for that purpose.
>
>  Anyway, you can try it here
>
>      https://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/MetraSchedule
>
>  I did not try to fix the typos in the town names as they appear on
>  their online schedule. It is a bit slow because I have not yet
>  created the db indices.
>  Do you think Metra may want to buy it? You got the idea, so you get 20%.
>
>  Massimo
>

>  On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:53 PM, Cosmin Stejerean wrote:
>

> > Well, it seems there is an ability to invite developers to collaborate
>  > with you on an application.
>  >
>  > I've been planning for a while to create a better interface to the
>  > Metra train times (metrarail.com). I'd like something with Twitter
>  > integration (so I can ask from SMS what the next train is) and a
>  > smarter ability to search (remember my stations and only show me
>  > upcoming train times for the current day of the week by default).
>  > I've started working towards this in Django but it seems like a
>  > perfect excuse to to start doing some AppEngine work. Let me know if
>  > you'd like to help with this and I can try to add you as a developer
>  > to the project (you'll need Git for this, I have 2 GitHub invitations
>  > left if anyone is interested). Also let me know if you have any other
>  > suggestions or ideas for the project.
>  >
>  > --
>  > Cosmin Stejerean
>  > http://blog.offbytwo.com
>  >
>  > PS.
>  >
>  > Completely unrelated but, you have the ability to restrict
>  > authentication to your Google Apps domain. This means it is possible
>  > to create (and perhaps resell) applications designed for internal use
>  > only and integrate it into the existing Google Mail, Docs, etc.
>  > http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/domains.html

Cosmin Stejerean
http://blog.offbytwo.com