[Chicago] Google App engine is python powered

Tim Gebhardt tim at gebhardtcomputing.com
Wed Apr 9 19:30:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sort of, it's just not persistent.  If you shut down your instance,
> you lose your data.  Unless there's something new I haven't heard of.
>
> Chris

One of the big guys on Slashdot addressed comments of a similar type about
EC2 here:

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=501678&cid=22883434

Basically, there's nothing stopping you from running a SQL server on your
instances, but if you're in the enterprise space with many customers you
shouldn't be hoping your single point of failure won't fail.  In this case,
just set up a cluster of databases and send your backups to Amazon S3 and
that's how you'd handle it in a regular data center if you owned the
physical servers.

It's not trivial (high availability never is, *sigh*), but if you are
running a single SQL server instance and your hardware fails your data's
gone anyway, whether or not your hardware is virtual or in meatspace, so
hopefully a solid backup solution is in place.

-Tim Gebhardt
tim at gebhardtcomputing.com