[Chicago] Better than Python?

John Jacobsen john at mail.npxdesigns.com
Fri Apr 11 23:22:35 CEST 2008

I know I'll get jumped on here, and I'm not suggesting it as a
replacement for Python, but I personally have an affection for Lisp,
primarily because of the macro feature - that you can use the
language itself to define new language constructs.  I have not seen
this feature in any other language (C/C++ preprocessor macros are
laughably feeble compared to real Lisp macros).  Since Lisp macros
yield compiled code, they are often blazingly fast as well.

Python and ancestors have already borrowed heavily from Lisp (loose
typing, garbage collection), but having played around with Lisp, I
miss the power of macros when writing Python (which I otherwise
absolutely love because of the library support and readability of the
language).

I would like to see a language with Python's readability and library
support, with the speed(*) and expressive power of Lisp added in.

John
(*)http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html