[Chicago] Wrapping an interactive console application

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 20:33:55 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone here who has experience with the following problem? I
am trying to write a Python program that wraps around an interactive
console application. I use the subprocess module for this. I start a
separate thread which uses the Popen.stdout attribute to get the
output from the console application. Everything basically works OK,
except that I can't easily quit my Python program. Even calling
sys.exit doesn't work! It looks like my thread that's reading from
standard output just refuses be killed.

BTW, I'm developing this program on Windows.

Thanks,
Feihong