[Chicago] help from Django and Pylons developers

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Apr 28 20:10:43 CEST 2008

Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am writing a comparison between web2py and other frameworks. Here is a
> draft:
>
> http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/static/web2py_vs_others.pdf

a little django stuff, lots of basic proof reading edits.

----------
p10

The web2py web based administrative
interface allow to do development,

allows you to

The same
functionality can be access via the Python
shell

accessed
-----------
p11 - up the font
p12 - ok, maybe leave the font alone...
-----------
p22
                             All other
frameworks requires some type of
configurations.

require
configuration.

web2py applications can have configuration
files

missing .
-----------
p24
       (with the limitations provided by the
App Engine)

limitations imposed, missing .

"database abstraction layers"

probably singular: layer

"supports the Google Query Language"

missing .

-----------
p25 - caching - django has more options:

     * Memcached
     * Database caching
     * Filesystem caching
     * Local-memory caching

"you have to tell it where your cached data should live — whether in a database,
on the filesystem or directly in memory. "

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/cache/
-----------
p26

"There’s nothing about Django that requires using the template language, so if
you’re attached to ZPT, Cheetah, or whatever, feel free to use those."

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/faq/#i-can-t-stand-your-template-language-do-i-have-to-use-it
-----------

p27
                                ( for
example web2py can use Genshi, Pylons
can use web2py’s)

(for
missing .

-----------
p33 -
missing .
missing .
-----------
p35 -
missing .
-----------
p33 -
missing .
------------
  In web2py if one changes the data model, it
  automatically and transparently generates
  and executes SQL to ALTER TABLEs. There
  is no special command to type like in Rails.

When do you plan on fixing that? :)
------------
p49
"Obviously"
poor form, condescending, etc.
If it is obvious, don't bother.
------------
p51
Django - the 'recommended' way to deal with files is to not have django service
the request, but let apache or whatever web server handle those URLs.  This is
good, because python seems to be a poor choice for moving 'large' amounts of
data 'like this.'

A few weeks ago I tried to use a python bittorrent client on a LAN and noticed
that python was using 95% cpu and was only getting under 10% of my 100mb
network.  at least I think this is what was happening.  it was enough to make me
realize that it is probably a bad idea to try to use python for "this."

So to me, the way this is presented suggests a problem with web2py.  you do say
"by default" so I am assuming that it can be easily changed, so I have 0.0 clue
if it really is a problem, just commenting on the impression I got from the slide.

------------
p55
missing . at end of each line
comes with the cherrypy
missing . cherry.py

------------

A comment on your overall marketing effort: put more emphasis on the
educational/ low entry/low investment.  I think the choices you are comparing
against are too complicated and too apples/oranges for your target audience to
really comprehend and make and educated choice.   It makes me think of being
given a week to evaluate the various countries space technology and having to
pick one to get a satellite put in orbit.  heck if I know what is important, so
I am going to go with whats popular, or comfortable, and all those other Dilbert
Guide to Management techniques.

So point out that you have an Orange, and no one else has Oranges; then convince
the people that need Oranges that they need an Orange, and your Orange becomes
the obvious choice.

You may have a better Apple, but you are late in the Apple game, so at a
disadvantage.

Carl K