[Chicago] help from Django and Pylons developers

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Mon Apr 28 21:35:24 CEST 2008

I incorporated almost all your suggested corrections. Thank you
again. I would like to address some of them here.

> "you have to tell it where your cached data should live — whether
> in a database,
> on the filesystem or directly in memory. "

But if I am not mistaken in Django and Pylons you specify this once
for all. You cannot cache a function in ram, another one in disk, one
select on memcache, one view in ram, disk and memcache (piped). Do
you have this level of flexibility in Django/Pylons?

>   In web2py if one changes the data model, it
>   automatically and transparently generates
>   and executes SQL to ALTER TABLEs. There
>   is no special command to type like in Rails.
>
> When do you plan on fixing that? :)

You can set db.define_table(.....,migrate=False) and it will not
perform migration. It will assume the table is there. ;-)

> Django - the 'recommended' way to deal with files is to not have
> django service
> the request, but let apache or whatever web server handle those
> URLs.  This is
> good, because python seems to be a poor choice for moving 'large'
> amounts of
> data 'like this.'

The problem is that sometime you need to perform authentication of a
large file (for example a video stream) and you cannot rely on
apache. Some problem if the file you want to serve is actually
generated. For example if you scan my machine for .php files you get
an infinite file being streamed to you. I would not know how to do
that with Django. Perhaps it is possible.