[Chicago] T3

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Dec 5 19:47:55 CET 2008

DiPierro, Massimo wrote:
> You may be interested in this...
>
> http://web2py.appspot.com/t3

Interestingly I've been working on something similar,
http://pickmywiki.appspot.com -- similar to yours it is meant to allow
code in pages.  Also all the templates are kept in the wiki itself.  I
imagine we both found this feasible only because GAE is sandboxed
already.  I also have an app (that I haven't integrated into PickyWiki
yet) to store history of pages -- by keeping it in a separate GAE app
instance you can make safe write-only history, which should mitigate the
risk of injecting code into the pages.  The history app is only meant to
work with page content, not arbitrary database content, though I suppose
arbitrary content would also be possible (especially just using
.to_xml() -- currently I have a custom way to munge pages into something
that looks like Atom entries, and that wouldn't be applicable to
arbitrary database tables).

Couple things:

README in web2py refers to runme.py

Why .tar for plugins and not .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or .zip?

The WYSIWYG editor is too tall; it would be nice to keep it constrained
to the height of the window ($(window).height()).

Linking in the WYSIWYG editor isn't working for me; it just defocuses
the editor.  And you should use Xinha instead of Nicedit, because Xinha
is cooler.

Search doesn't work for me.

I like that errors in the templates are localized.  I'll have to try
doing that myself (in PickyWiki the whole page dies if there's any
problems in any template, which is lame if you have non-programmers
editing code).

You don't allow page names to include "-", only "_".  You might also
want to look at the PickyWiki code to autofill the path in Javascript
(the JS is inline in the edit screen, and is triggered only when you
create a page).

There are Menu/Public options on the create page that aren't on the edit
page.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org