[Chicago] python 3.0 hep

Ted Pollari tcp at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 19:01:16 CET 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Martin Maney wrote:

> It may be impractical, but he's not wrong: testing is literally trying
> to "prove" a negative (the code has no errors) by showing that this
> case works, and that case works, ....

That's one view/use of testing but it's by far not the only one.

Testing can and is used to assure that bugs, once identified, are
fixed and not inadvertently reintroduced, for example.

Testing is also used to prove that the code works for at least some
set of intended inputs/uses.  That's still extremely valuable because
doing that by hand is time consuming and not guaranteed to be accurate
if there are a large number of cases.  Making the jump to saying that
the code has no errors is either faulty logic or an intentional bit of
exaggeration for arguments' sake.

That's my take at least and I'm sure there are much wiser folks than I
on this issue.

-tcp