[Chicago] python 3.0 hep

David Durham, Jr. david.durham.jr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 16:00:26 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2008 04:00 PM, Martin Maney wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 12:18:08PM -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>>
>>> Ultimately there's the question of the Chewbacca bug -- the breakdown of
>>> logic and communication.  How can you test against that?
>>
>> If you don't know what's needed, why worry about testing?  It's going
>> to be incorrect no matter what you do.<wink>
>
> If you don't know if you know what's needed, why worry about testing? Meta
> ignorance abounds!

Not writing a proof is in itself an informal test of the proof-writing
system.  I have been conducting my research for years and I can say
with some degree of certainty (let's call that degree "a lot") that
most people do not need to write proofs in everyday programming life.
Regression testing is pretty darned good.

-Dave