[Chicago] Django + Facebook Connect + GPL = Woo!

Brian Boyer brian at sixthw.com
Fri Dec 12 01:29:21 CET 2008

I can't make it tonite, but I wanted to let the cat out of the bag...
For our final project at Northwestern's journalism program for software
developers, Ryan Mark and I built a Django-based online news project
called News Mixer (http://newsmixer.us).

Interesting to ya'll may be that we're using the brand-spanking new
Facebook Connect for authentication, to post your activity to Facebook,
and to show what your friends are up to. It uses pyFacebook rather
heavily, but implements some new stuff for using Connect to fire up
Django users.

The code's GPL'ed and out now: http://code.google.com/p/newsmixer/

We're hoping that somebody makes fun stuff with it.  (Extract a Facebook
Connect Django Plugin? Extend pyFacebook?)

For more on Connect, how we use it, and what I think of it (useful,
creeps me out), and links to our project, etc. check out:
http://sixthw.com/2008/12/11/how-we-built-news-mixer-part-2-the-trouble-with-facebook-connect/