[Chicago] sockets Question

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sat Dec 27 23:21:24 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 12:11:52PM -0500, Pete wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
>> On Dec 26, 2008, at 10:24 AM, Pete wrote:
>>> When I look at C, I can see the Python within.
>> Actually it is Python that calls Posix inside and exposes similar APIs
>> ;-)
> Yeah, they read Knuth so I don't have to.
> I never learned C. ;-)
> --Pete
> PS- I think that's quoteboard worthy, no?

No, too non-seq.  Knuth has never written anything about C or Python
that I can think of; nor about socket programming, come to think of it.

Perhaps you could substitute "Stevens", though I'm not sure that anyone
not a pure Unixhead would agree that he dominated that field the way
Knuth did his.  :-)

If I had charged one dollar for Samba, it would have never been successful.
The way I was doing stuff was not about money, and I am not at all resentful
of companies that have made money from Samba. At the same time, if they all
went away, we would still have a great community to work on stuff. I think
of the last year or two as being the biggest private investment in public
works in decades.  -- Andrew Tridgell, c. 2001