[Chicago] XO for recording PyCon

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Feb 1 21:40:40 CET 2008

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
>> I am trying to arrange to record all 108 hours of PyCon audio and video.
>> assuming I get the desired VGA capture device, I need a box with USB 2 and audio
>> in.  I can provide an external HD.
>>
>> Is there any reason the XO would not work for this?
>
> No one has really tried it.  It's not clear if the data could be saved
> fast enough, or even if the software support is setup for that sort of
> thing yet (e.g., saving raw files).  This could be pretty hard.
>
> If you want to try it ahead of time I can lend you a machine.

cool.  Now if I can get my hands on the VGA capture device.
http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?pid=66

> But I
> think it would be more of an interesting experiment than a good way to
> figure out this particular problem.  The record activity itself really
> doesn't have any interface to do this sort of thing, though maybe it's
> possible to install (via yum) whatever is necessary to do this.

It seemed like a handy way to get 5 similar systems.  the pile of laptops I have
might have worked, until someone said 'we need audio'.

This will be 'fun':
"""
VGA2USB/DVI2USB is compatible with Linux. VGA2USB/DVI2USB driver supports V4L
(Video4Linux) interface along with specialized interface designed by Epiphan.

Although we provide a Linux SDK (API for driver and examples), we do not provide
source code for the driver itself. Please contact us if you need a driver
compiled for a specific kernel version or kernel setting.

Precompiled drivers:

     * version 3.7.32 for Fedora 8, 2.6.23.9-85.fc8, i686
     * version 3.7.32 for Fedora 7, 2.6.23.8-34.fc7, i686
     * version 3.7.32 for Ubuntu 2.6.22-14-generic i686

"""
http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?ppid=24&PHPSESSID=tshmtf50lhuhtukut6s9l4q272

I'll tell them I need it compiled for the XO.  ok, that will be a waste of time.

What do you think I should ask?

Carl K