[Chicago] web2py 1.20 is out

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Tue Feb 5 19:11:40 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:52:26AM -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Martin Maney wrote:
> > Are there any frameworks that don't pretty much assume you're starting
> > from scratch?  I'd say that all of them that I've looked at for more
> > than the briefest glance leverage the assumption that the project is
> > all new (and needn't consider anyone accessing its data except through
> > the app built using the framework) as a hugely simplifying assumption -
> > only one shape of holes and pegs, once again.
>
> SQLAlchemy and Storm are both generally flexible enough to handle legacy
> database schemas.  Paste includes several tools for proxying and calling
> subprocesses, which lets you treat an external web application as just
> another part of your application.

Yeah, I recall that SQLAlchemy was far less of a crippled compromise
than any other ORM I'd ever seen, but in itself it's hardly a web app
framework (and so it didn't usefully solve any of my immediate problems
- substituting its notation for existing SQL would have been little
more than make-work, and using it with the small Django app(let)s would
merely have broken the automagical admin and other stuff that make up
half of the reason Django is useful to me).  I don't remember having
heard of Storm before.

Hmmm, now what shall I do with this dodecahedral peg? ...

--
Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er va ivbyngvba bs
gur Qvtvgny Zvyyraavhz Pbclevtug Npg.  -- anon.