[Chicago] web2py 1.20 is out

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Tue Feb 5 21:21:55 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:25:33PM -0600, Daniel Griffin wrote:
> Most of these frameworks are made or broken by their ORM ...
> ... assume that every table has an auto-incrementing int called "id"
> ... problem with surrogate keys is that the actual keys can lose meaning
> ... django tells you to add constraints and validation ...

Yeah.  My short take is that ORMs are rooted in the desire to simplify
the data model so that people can work with it without needing to know
much about data modeling (let alone SQL).  And, like, say, Access, a
lot of useful things can be done adequately well within the limits of
this simplification.

(that short take is itself a useful, but not entirely correct or
complete, simplification.  just sayin')

--
I will unshutter my eyes
    and go back to the scene.