[Chicago] PyCon BeerBoF

Anthony Rubin anthony.r.rubin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:16:54 CET 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 2:59 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > Yeah, that's my project.  I had pretty much planned to say "meet in the hotel
> > lobby at 8 on Saturday night and we'll go for beers."
>
> If this turns out to be popular -- and why wouldn't it? -- then that
> seems a bit chaotic.
>
> I thought it could work well if we told everyone to go someplace,
> perhaps someplace where there are several bars so that everyone can be
> accommodated.  A bar hop, if you will.  I dunno if there's someplace
> near the conference that would work, otherwise someplace on the Blue
> Line would be good.
>
>    Ian

In my mind there are only two choices if you want a good Chicago
brewery: Piece and Goose Island. Piece actually has great beer, great
New Haven style pizza and is close to the Damen blue line stop. Goose
Island has a few great brews and a lot of mediocre ones. Their food is
also nothing special and their locations aren't terribly close to the
blue line (wouldn't be bad by cab, but I typically walk everywhere).

There are also a lot of bars in Chicago with great beer selections. At
the top of the list is Hopleaf. Map Room would be a close second, and
they have a better beer selection, but Hopleaf has amazing food.
Unfortunately Hopleaf is not close to the blue line. Map Room isn't
far from the Western stop. Map Room also isn't terribly far from
Piece. That entire area has plenty of bars and is probably your best
bet.

Anthony