[Chicago] Thanks -datasets

Warren Lindsey warren.lindsey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 04:19:28 CET 2008

You can see realtime traffic data for Chicagoland, Wisconsin, and
Indiana at the http://gcmtravel.org website.  Select at least one
route under the MyTravel link and you'll see only that road data for
current travel times, detector data, congestion, etc.  Clicking around
will take you to graphs of historical data at
http://www.gcmtravelstats.com/

I wrote a script to scrape these pages for travel times on 290, but it
has since broken.  This data used to be served as txt files but that
went away when they introduced the MyTravel datasets.

If you request application/developer access then there is an XML feed
available.

Following the GIS topic, you could take the detector data which tracks
the speed of cars passing over a certain point, and plot that on your
own map.  I had aspired to do this but GoogleMaps now does this and I
lost interest when I stopped driving to work.  This data could also be
used to compute ETA from some point along the route and knowing that
there is a slowdown ahead.

Also of interest are links to live traffic cameras scattered about.  I
think they update every 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Warren