[Chicago] Restaurants - vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal?

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 05:21:03 CET 2008

I have an opinion about what Chicago Diner food tastes like and I
think "cardboard" is awfully generous but it does seem that
vegetarians swear by it.

Udupi on Devon is a vegetarian South Indian restaurant that I very
much enjoy  and personally recommend.

I would like to see a couple of recommendations in each of the
following categories; herewith my own.

Having been gone only a year hopefully these are current.

CHEAP MEXICAN
El Mariachi in Lakeview

MIDRANGE MEXICAN
Nuevo Mexico in Lakeview

UPSCALE MEXICAN
Frontera of course, expensive

NOUVELLE ASIAN
Lulu's in Evanston, midrange

CHINESE
Phoenix in Chinatown, midrange

SUSHI
Katsu in some godforsaken corner of West Peterson; very expensive but
worth it if you can manage it

UPSCALE ITALIAN
Panna Cotta on the Gold Coast expensive
Gioco in South Loop expensive

PIZZA/CHEAP ITALIAN
Calo in Andersonville

STEAKS
?

BURGERS
?

CAJUN
Heaven on Seven, N Michigan, midrange

DOGS
The Weiner's Circle, Lincoln Park, cheap

OPEN LATE
Nookie's, Lakeview, moderate price, huge menu, good food

THAI
Yes Thai, Andersonville or so... a bargain

VEGETARIAN
Udupi, Devon, cheap South Indian veggie

DELI
Barnum and Bagel (in Skokie, I think)

Aargh. So little time. So much to eat! Unfortunately none of the above
especially blue-line/Kennedy friendly. Hope it helps though.

mt