[Chicago] Good Tech Bookstores in Chicagoland?

Jon Sudlow jsudlow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:09:52 CET 2008

"Office for congenital morons"

Haha, I agree with you. It gets pretty tiresome knowing books like "Starting
a computer for dummies" are the only books that sell in a decent volume to
keep them around on the shelves. Hmmm, online bookstores for the chicago
tech community,I smell a django project cooking....

BTW: Dont you older guys have a massve pool of books? aybe put them together
and have a Chipy bookstore?

Or we could just screw that and sell the .pdf's to people with laptops?

-Jon

On Jan 8, 2008 1:18 PM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:49:57PM -0600, Michael Tobis wrote:
> > There's nothing in Chicago like Dallas's Nerdbooks, as far as I know.
> > I think there used to be one around Naperville called Bits N Bytes,
> > but I never managed to get there. That may be ancient history.
>
> Yeah, it's long gone, and much missed.  There may still be an online
> ghostly remnant, but it was, of course, browsing the actual books inthe
> actual store that made it so wonderful.
>
> At this time the best, or at any rate certainly the largest technical
> book selection I know of in the area is at Microcenter, of all places.
> Aisles and aisles of books there... non-computer science, too.
>
> > I love sci/tech sections in bookstores and know many of the ones in
> > Chicago. Tech quality seems to come and go. Four years ago I thought
> > the U of C bookstore was one of the best in the world. It is now
> > remarkably mundane. The best selection I know of  (or as of about a
> > year ago) is or was the downtown DePaul campus's Barnes & Noble,
> > followed by the Borders at Oak Brook.
>
> Yuck.  I was lucky enough to be introduced to Borders back when you had
> to drive to Michigan to visit one.  This was before they started
> appearing everywhere, and the hiring process was mainly concerned with
> finding people who liked books and knew a lot about at least some types
> of them.  My benchmark is being asked "can I help you?", explaining
> that I was looking for a copy of the Smalltalk-80 book, and having the
> guy (1) know which one I meant, (2) that they had had a copy, and (3)
> after checking the shelves offering to order the copy they should have
> had but didn't; would you like us to call you when it gets here?  I
> haven't been to the Oak Brook Borders in some years becuase it was
> getting too too sad watching what had been quite a good computer
> section slowly dwindle (I remember being a little bemused to find not
> one but several copies of Lion's Commentary there back when it had been
> blessed for publication.  Probably that store's all time high point
> IMO)
>
> Nowadays I mostly shop at Bookpool, which leaves a bit to be wished for
> in the browsing, but what else can you do when the local stores don't
> carry squat anymore, and most of that being along the lines of Office
> for Congenital Morons?
>
> --
> There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem,
> the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and
> generosity. -- Nathaniel Branden

Jon Sudlow
3225 Foster Avenue
221 Sohlberg Hall