[Chicago] Good Tech Bookstores in Chicagoland?

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at imagescape.com
Fri Jan 11 17:31:09 CET 2008

"David Goodger" <goodger at python.org> writes:

> Actually, the "Python For Dummies" book is quite good, as a
> beginner-level text.  Aahz co-wrote it, and I tech-edited it.  Unlike
> many books out there, it gets the concept of Python names (vs. other
> languages' variable) right.  I made sure of it ;-)

Good to know.  I'll have to check it out.  I'm constantly trying to
introduce people to python.

Actually, I have to admit that my first real introduction to computers
was an ancient DOS for Dummies book that my father handed me, and the
index and glossary that came with QBASIC.  That's right, I learned how
to program without any tutorials, like a REAL MAN.  As it turns out,
REAL MEN are about 11 years old and write pretty shitty programs.  I
passed my states and capitals test with programming that looked
something like this (Note that I don't remember qbasic syntax any
more, so this is probably wrong.):

IF $CAPITAL_ANSWER == 'MADISON' AND $STATE == 'WISCONSIN':
  GOTO CAPITAL_ANSWER_IS_RIGHT
ELSE
  GOTO CAPITAL_ANSWER_IS_WRONG

... for every single state and capital combination, and since it
quizzed you for either capitals or states, that was 100 IF/ELSE
statements. But I passed that test, dammit.

Also, the application played "Yankee Doodle" through my PC speakers
when it started up, which, when I was 11 years old, was just about the
coolest thing ever.