[Chicago] import question

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Wed Jan 23 20:42:15 CET 2008

Sorry but I follow a different philosophy in web2py.
While my users are free to run from source and install any module
they want, I try to make it easier for them.

They must be able to find a appliance they like from the appliances
web site http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/appliances (source of bytecode
compiled), click on it and have it running on their web2py installation.

My users are not supposed to know anything about dependencies.

Third party packages are either in the contrib folder (when the
license permits it) which I maintain and gets updated every new
web2py release, or in packaged in the appliances (again compatibly
with licenses). The developers and the consumers of the appliances
are free to upgrade those packages as they like but it their
responsibility not to break them.  I guarantee my users that web2py
upgrades (and relative contrib modules upgrades) do not break
appliances.

Massimo