[Chicago] import question

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Jan 24 15:15:39 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:34:32AM -0600, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
> As I explained in the original post, editing sys.path that may create
> problems with py2exe and py2app.

Yeah, I remembered that right after my previous reply had gone out.
I'd dismiss this as "so much the worse for py2exe and py2app", but it
would likely also cause problems (or at least confusion) if two web2py
apps both needed to include the same module - assuming web2py apps are
sub-site things that can be combined to construct an entire site, as in
Django's terminology.  This aspect of it, too, has roots in much
earlier shared library usage...

> When people write code, they should not assume that their modules are
> going to be installed in site-packages or in a location in sys.path.

That is, however, the prevailing standard.  Like a prevailing wind, you
can try to piss into it or... not.

--
Code can be its own documentation.  It's generally pretty lousy
doucmentation, but in many cases that's no worse than what you'd get in