[Chicago] import question

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Thu Jan 24 16:40:17 CET 2008

On Wednesday January 23 2008 12:10:42 pm Kumar McMillan wrote:
> Of course, the industry standard solution to this (Amazon does this I
> believe) is to use vmware to create one single "OS" per application,
> for ultimate isolation.  If you have that luxury then this is the way
> to go.

To take this argument a bit further, this is arguably the *only* way to
package python applications so that they're "safe" from upgrades.  Remember,
a python application depends on a lot more than a bunch of site-packages. I
count at least 27 .so's linked to by a standard python install.

Just sayin'...  Personally, I find the OMG! upgrades! attitude a bit
overblown, but then again I don't have to deal with supporting customers...
It's also a good recipe for unfixed security holes.

Peter Fein   ||   773-575-0694   ||   pfein at pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~pfein/   ||   PGP: 0xCCF6AE6B
irc: pfein at freenode.net   ||   jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com