[Chicago] requirements tracking in python

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Jan 24 17:56:33 CET 2008

I've worked in environments running the gamut from SEI certified to
wildcat startup and can talk scrum and all that over beer if you like,
but that's not what I want right now...

I want pragmatic ways to let people track the flow from business
requirements to implementation (to test would be nice, but just to
implementation is fine for now). constraining requirements to be
entered into some database (but then having a presentation that looks
like a document) would prevent the word/excel/email zaniness delivered
to me and would allow me to frob things better to spit out stuff I can
point to.

"Stop wasting my time," I could think. "Here, read this section a
subsection b stroke 36 it answers your question exactly," I could say.

It is not a waste of time yak shaving with a magical software package,
I've used something before, and it helped. It wasn't magic. I have
nothing like that available to me now.

On Jan 24, 2008 10:32 AM, Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Trac is pretty great.  You can get creative with tickets.  In general
> though, it sounds like your whole crew needs to evaluate your
> development methodologies...figure out what works, and stick with
> it.  That usually requires a bunch of buy in from a bunch of people
> who don't like to buy in, but if you get it all lined up, it might
> make things easier than finding a magical software package that fixes
> everything.
>
> Look into "Scrum."
>
> Chris
>

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 10:22 AM, sheila miguez wrote:
>
> > Does anyone here know of a tool in python for handling requirements
> > tracking?
> >
> > (I have deja vu, have I already asked this?)
> >
> > I think django would be a good fit, you could end up with a view for
> > the requirements doc, and views for traceability reports (and so on
> > and so forth, want to hear me babble ideas? scm integration would be
> > really cool link data to the src code? tie in comment tags (in
> > whatever language you are documenting))
> >
> > At work I am driven crazy by the mish-mash of ways people pass on
> > requirements to me. I end up making charts on the wiki from their
> > requirements to my srs to my model -- this does not scale!
> >
> > no, this is not overkill, yes it helps -- do you want a team to get to
> > the integration phase of a project only to find that they forgot to
> > implement a requirement?!
> >
> > arg.
> >

> > --
> > sheila