[Chicago] requirements tracking in python

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:05:18 CET 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 11:08 AM, Pete <pfein at pobox.com> wrote:
> Again, it's a culture thing.  Though one of my coworkers used to print out
> circuit diagrams on a large format printer and hang them on the wall for the
> benefit of the managers at his previous job. YMMV.

ya, culture matters.  Here, we combine Trac and the hallway, where
there are lines of masking tape with headings like "in progress,"
"completed," and "verified," and 3x5 index cards stuck on the wall
mirroring the tasks we have in Trac.  At first I thought this was
ludicrous, maintaining tasks in two places??  But actually it's great.
 1) Business people can't use Trac, nor any website for they are
computer-challenged (yes this is sad) and 2) when you finish a task
you can move your index card from one section to another -- this is
surprisingly uplifting (yes this also is sad).  The reason it works is
that project managers keep index cards in sync with Trac, I don't know
how they do it.  If you have clever people like that who are willing
to do the maintainance, this method helps the entire business keep up
to date with its projects.