[Chicago] URL + authentication

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 04:20:37 CEST 2008

So suppose there is some proprietary data. A lot of it. Lets say gigs of
binary. Per file. Maybe thousands of multi-gig files per resource pool,
maybe dozens of such pools. Nevertheless, the members of one pool don't
necessarily want the members of another pool swimming in their own pool
uninvited.
Nevertheless, there is a service (the code is open source in actual fact but
that doesn't matter for these purposes; the point is that there is a
service) which allows access to all of these pools subject to strong
authentication.

I want to create clean code that, if I am authenticated with respect to a
specific resource pool, should allow me to have remote read access. I just
want to know how to keep the security from messing with the elegance of the
code. So.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a very clean representation of a
secured remote object?

I'm guessing the authentication will be a method of the object, and it will
have a URL as an attribute. Some sockets and encryption would help.

Is this a solved problem or do I need to put it together for myself?

Oh, did I mention Python? Oh bother. Sorry. Python, python, python!

pythonically
mt