[Chicago] URL + authentication

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 14:55:49 CEST 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:59 PM, Kumar McMillan wrote:

> This sounds similar to what Tahoe does and it is written in Python
> (probably with some C).  You could use Tahoe as a backend or steal
> parts of their code.  Tahoe uses Erasure coding for storing the data
> but I'm not sure how it exactly sends data over the wire.  It is
> designed for these kinds of segmented sharing groups you are talking
> about and is nice because it is distributed.

Tahoe uses erasure coding for reliability reasons - I'm pretty sure it
does zilch for you security wise.  IIRC, their client encrypts the
blocks before sending them over the net.

Michael, you didn't indicate whether the data needs to be encrypted
where it lives, such as in distributed storage on untrusted machnes (a
la Tahoe), or whether the data's stored centrally somewhere secure.
It'd help to know what protocol/library you're building on here - if
we're talking HTTP, this should be pretty trivial.