[Chicago] MeetUp

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 26 15:40:54 CEST 2008

Michael H Buselli wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:54:47 CDT, Brian Ray wrote:
>> Should we consider using MeetUp again?  At the very beginning we used  
>> it but nobody wanted to pay.
>> Do not get me wrong, I think our anarchical methodologies work for us  
>> 80% of the time. Its the other 20% I wish to capture. And I do not  
>> like structure beyond what is enforceable by whitespace.
> MeetUp is kind of evil.  It works well for a while, and then when you
> get around to developing your own application to replace it (someone?),
> MeetUp won't let you notify everyone that you've moved to another site.
> Instead, MeetUp tells those that didn't get the memo offline that the
> group is dying, and they need to pay up the dues to save it.  Some poor
> guy will probably fall for their bait, send them cash, and end up
> supporting nothing at all.
> So if you're okay with that... sure.  It is probably better than
> nothing.

Why don't we skip the meetup step and go straight to the replace it step?

What is the problem that this (meetup or similar) would solve?

Carl K

More information about the Chicago mailing list