[Chicago] Volunteer Signups!

Chris McAvoy chris.mcavoy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:23:32 CET 2008

Hi ChiPy & Pycon-organizers,

There's a bunch of open volunteer positions that we need to fill this
week, so please figure out how you can help out.

* Session Chairs

Doug Napoleone, in a tremendous burst of creative energy, built  a
pretty cool pycon schedule application at
http://us.pycon.org/2008/conference/schedule/ which includes session
chair signups.

We need session chairs for each 3 session block.  Session chairs are
responsible for introducing the speaker, and showing the speaker cards
that let them know how much time they have left.  It's a pretty easy
job, and gives you a little bit of Pycon exposure and a chance to get
to know the speakers.

So, take a look at the schedule, figure out what you which talks you
want to attend, and sign up as a session chair.  You have to log in to
the application (you should all have logins from when you registered),
then you float over the session, and magical link "sign up as session
chair" appears.

Everyone will get an instruction sheet for the day of the talks on
your (very light) duties, as well as hand printed time-cards to show
the speakers.

* Registration desk

We need a few more people to sign up to work the registration desk,
especially Thursday.  If you're interested, sign up here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Volunteer_Signup

* Bag Stuffing

Thursday night of the conference, ChiPy is having it's monthly meeting
at the hotel.  Peter Fein is going to talk about a project he's been
working on, and we're all going to stuff bags.  It'll be fun.  Like a
party.

* Twitter Channel

We have a twitter channel for last minute volunteer requests.  Sort of
a 'flash mob' volunteer squad.  Twitter is a microblogging site that
lets you "follow" a writer.  Updates to the writers channel can be
sent to your mobile phone, instant messenger, or you can view them
over the web.  The intent of the pyconvolunteers channel is to give us
a way to contact a big group of people in a hurry.  Expect messages
like, "we need people in ballroom 5 to help move chairs."

Signup is here: http://twitter.com/pyconvolunteers  You'll create your
own twitter account, and then "follow" the pyconvolunteers user.  I
encourage you to register your mobile phone, as it will make it easy
for us to contact the group when necessary.

Ok folks, that's all for now.  I think we're in relatively good shape.
 I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next week!

Chris