[Chicago] Power for 1000

David Beazley d-beazley at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 13:43:14 CET 2008

I just wanted to add my 0.02  on this powerstrip
thread.   My brother works in audio-visual production
and does a lot of conferences/tradeshows (including
many at Chicago hotels and at McCormick).   Chicago is
legendary for its unions as so far as I understand it,
the union has to be involved with everything short of
you speaking into a microphone.   Frankly, I don't
think PyCon should get involved with that.   Also,
unless you know something about the wiring, I don't
think you can just go around plugging in several
hundred power strips.   It might violate fire-code or
any number of other laws (of which there are many).

Also, I've been to big conferences such as USENIX and
O'Reilly before---I don't EVER remember a conference
of that size trying to provide power to 1000 people.
That's what batteries are for.    The only place you
might need power is in tutorials.

-Dave