[Chicago] Teach Me <something> at a ChiPy meeting?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Mar 20 18:14:39 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:00:48AM -0500, Atul Varma wrote:
> cool.  Instead of "Teach me threading/forking", though, I would do a "Teach
> me concurrency", which would basically help people figure out what kinds of
> concurrency options are available and how to choose between them--e.g.
> threads, processes, greenlets, deferreds, generators, etc.  I guess that is
> kind of insanely broad, but it could be neat.

It would be a great topic for some kind of presentation (maybe not a
Teach Me ...).  The trick would be to do it without getting bogged down
in the details; a clean model for why different kinds of problems fit
different types of solutions is of huge value... and I had to work to
avoid using the word "patterns" in that sentence, which would only have
muddied the waters <wink>.

[ot, after noticing the randomly selected sig quote: /me wonders if
Joey's using git now?  I know he has a neat sounding tool to help with
managing your /etc using git that I'd need to find time to play with.]

--
The trouble with customizing your environment is that it just doesn't
propagate, so it's not even worth the trouble.  -- Joel Spolsky

I keep my life in a CVS repository. -- Joey Hess