[Chicago] Teach Me <something> at a ChiPy meeting?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 18:29:24 CET 2008

    Atul> Good idea.  I like the idea of doing a "Teach me..." of something
    Atul> that's typically either very hard to understand or not very well
    Atul> documented.  Django and Nose are both notable for their excellent
    Atul> documentation, and they're easy to understand for what they are,
    Atul> so I'm not sure if they'd make really good candidates, but I could
    Atul> be wrong.

I think one of the problems with "excellent documentation" is that it can be
kind of overwhelming, like drinking from a fire hose, making it difficult at
times to know where to start.  In that case, a novice coaxing experts into a
nearly shortest path to a useful problem solution might be useful.

Here's another idea.  Instead of learning to use a specific Python-based
package, how about learning to the same thing with different packages?  For
example:

    Teach Me Google Maps with Django
    Teach Me Google Maps with Pylons
    Teach Me Google Maps with TurboGears

Also, we have to have a few domain experts in the audience for the
entertaining novice to draw on for expertise.

Given the struggles I'm going through at work right at this very moment, I'd
probably appreciate a Teach Me NumPy session.

Skip