[Chicago] selecting talks Re: [PyCON-Organizers] Talk slot durations (was: FWD: Re: Pycon disappointment)

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Sun Mar 23 17:34:21 CET 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Atul Varma wrote:

> I'm not sure if this idea is along the same lines as what you're
> saying here, but what if the way to choose what talks get busted is
> based purely on a completely democratic voting process within the
> community?  For instance, once all the talks are turned in, they're
> all publicly viewable on the PyCon website; they could even have
> comment threads where discussion could take place, e.g. potential
> audience members could ask the potential presenter in advance about
> their proposal, people who have heard the presenter talk before
> could provide comments, etc.  Then each community member is given a
> pool of, say, 50 points, that they can distribute between proposals
> however they like (or a different voting system could be used, I
> dunno).

	Unfortunately, the description of a proposed talk can have little to
do with the quality of the talk. There were several talks that I had
anticipated eagerly last week, based on the description, only to find
that they were boring and uninformative. Conversely, I went to a few
that didn't sound all that interesting on paper but were very engaging
in person.

-- Ed Leafe