[Chicago] netflix prize

Jon Sudlow jsudlow at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:50:49 CET 2008

Your exactly right. I dont think netflix is looking for someone to crawl a
third party data source to get a fuzzy match and use those results to help
predict the ratings.

By the way, when you do a group like this, one person is responsible to
register the crew and communicate with Netflix. Who is the 'team leader',
because we have to register to get our hands on the ratings data.
-jon

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Kumar McMillan <kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Massimo, I've attached the README from the download.  It explains
> what's contained in the data and yes there is movie title and release
> year.  I've also heard of how people have been getting sneaky and
> matching the rating data (which just has CustomerID) to the movie
> data, crawling IMDB, and "matching" netflix ratings to that of IMDB to
> expose the identity behind CustomerIDs.  I don't think netflix was too
> happy about this ;)  I just read it somewhere a while back, haven't
> looked at the details.  Google gave me:
> http://www.netflixprize.com/community/viewtopic.php?pid=5864
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Massimo Di Pierro
> <mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> > Let us know what you find.
> >
> >  Massimo
> >

> >  On Mar 27, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Tom Printy wrote:
> >
> >  > On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:20 -0500, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
> >  >> Does anybody know what information is in the data they provide.
> Other
> >  >> than user's rating, what's in the movies database that one can use
> >  >> for correlation (like actors in the movies, producers, genre, etc.)?
> >  > Well we could crawl IMDB for this info. Or I may be able to get my
> >  > hands
> >  > on the data ;)
> >  >
> >  >