[Chicago] OT: How to choose an Open Source License

Mike Fried mikef at arbalest.com
Thu May 1 00:53:02 CEST 2008

This is a bit off topic - My wife, a programmer, is writing
a paper for school on how/why people choose one open
source license over another when starting a new project.

Conducting a "survey" is required for the course and this
one took me 2 minutes to complete.  The idea for this
grew out of the question of why are there so many Open
Source Licenses now and what's the difference between
them anyway?  But the survey mainly asks which licenses
have you chosen and which of the listed factors was most
important to you in making that choice.

If you are willing to take the survey click the link below.

Beyond the link is the "boiler plate" stuff that is required
for the class.  There is no real "we" and it's not a "research
study" in the typical sense of the word. There is no
marketing involved here what so ever.

If this is too far off topic and the moderator wishes to bump
this post that's fine.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=RHoaoVbsFOG1CCrp9qPVrA_3d_3d

==================

INFORMATION SHEET FOR PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH STUDY

 [License Choice Determinants for Open Source Software Projects]

We are asking you to be in a research study because we are trying to
learn more about the factors that influence the licensing decisions
made by developers and founders of Open Source Software Projects.
This study will take about 15 minutes of your time.  If you agree to be in
this study, you will be asked to fill out a survey.  You can choose
not to participate.  There will be no negative consequences if you
decide not to participate or change your mind later.

If you have questions about this study, please contact  Janet Kral at
773-878-4679 or at janniefried at yahoo.com.  If you have questions
about your rights as a research subject, you may contact
Shay-Ann Heiser Singh, DePaul University's Director of Research
Protections at 312-362-7593 or by email at sheiser at depaul.edu.