[Chicago] Plone Book Review

Brian J. Greenberg bjgreenberg at gmail.com
Fri May 2 16:07:16 CEST 2008

Whoohoo!  Finally someone is talking about Plone.  I've been using Plone in
a very limited fashion for a few years.  I've only recently been getting
deeper into Plone.  The only reason I haven't done more in Plone is that I'm
not a developer and don't have a lot of opportunity do work with it
professionally, which is one reason why I like working with it so much.  You
don't have to write any code if you can't/don't want to.  It's ready to go
right out of the box as a content management system/framework.  There are
lots of application plug-ins (called products) and it's really easy to use
and the on-line documentation is fairly through.  It installs in a snap and
runs on Linux, Window and Mac, no problem.  Very easy to migrate a Plone
site from one site/machine to another and has built in data protection tools
and easy to back up.

--
Brian J. Greenberg
http://briangreenberg.net

... you wrote ...

Matt Dorn posted a review of a new Plone book that the publisher sent
to us, http://chipy.org/Professional_Plone_Development.

I haven't been paying much attention to Plone or Zope, but lately have
been considering taking a deeper look at both.  Is anyone using Plone
or Zope where they work?  The community seems strong as ever, and
Plone especially comes up in discussions with non-Python-centric folks
as a contender for CMS duties, in direct competition with M$
Sharepoint.  Anyone have any experiences to share?  Has ChiPy been
negligent on the Plone / Zope front?

Chris