[Chicago] Anyone using MacPorts Python exclusively?

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Fri May 16 19:31:49 CEST 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Chris McAvoy wrote:

> Macports (macports.org, formerly darwinports) seems to have come a
> long way since I last looked at it.  It still seems like a little bit
> of a all or nothing approach.  Anyone using the MacPorts Python
> exclusively?  I'm on Leopard nowadays, and am liking their version of
> 2.5, but I like that I can get a bunch of difficult to compile modules
> (I'm looking at you lxml) via MacPorts easily.  The only off-putting
> bit is that you really have to go all in.

Yeah, I use it in preference to Apple's Python, which was missing a
number of GPL'd modules I needed (gdbm, bsddb, forget what else).  I
use macports for my base python installation + apps/libraries I'm not
developing against (like ipython).  For dependencies for my own code,
I tend to install via easy_install to my home dir.  I did the same
thing on Ubuntu, fwiw - give me more control over my Python install w/
o stepping on the system install.

I also use macports for random OSS commandline-y stuff instead of
compiling/installing by hand (like memcached & bash-completion).

> Anyone all in?  Anyone want to hold my hand and tell me it will be
> alright?

Yes, it will be ok.  I had a few python-related problems but it's been
working fine since then: http://trac.macports.org/search?q=pfein&ticket=on

More random non-obvious notes:
  1. see the FAQ about missing modules.  A number of stdlib modules
are packaged separately, including SSL support.
  2. If you want `python` to run  macports python instead of apple's,
install & run python_select
  3. http://porticus.alittledrop.com/ is a decent GUI
  4. if `port` isn't on your path after installing, visit #macports,
they've got a fix in the topic (lame, but it works).

#macports is generally helpful too.