[Chicago] Vim or Emacs

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 07:13:45 CEST 2008

I've decided I need to move to a more powerful text editor. I've
narrowed my choices down to Vim and Emacs. Personally, I'm used to
the Vi modal style, having been forced to learn it in high school.
However, I have a strong need for the editor to be highly extensible,
meaning I should be able to write fairly sophisticated plugins for
it.

I know that Vim has python support and so does Emacs (through
Pymacs). However, after playing around with python in vim, I get the
impression that I can't bind any callbacks to program events, e.g.
run something every time the user saves the buffer to disk. It's
possible that I'm mistaken, as I'm not overly familiar with vim. But
I'm wondering now if Pymacs or Emacs in general is more extensible
than vim. Is there anybody who cares to weigh in on this?

Oh, and please don't mention any other text editors. Chances are I've
already looked at them and rejected them for whatever reason. Right
now I'm trying to narrow it down between Emacs and Vim, and the one
criteria I'm really unsure about is extensibility.

Cheers,
Feihong