[Chicago] Python and VIM

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Fri May 30 23:53:35 CEST 2008

There are several ways to use python in VIM. One way is to script vim
from python.

One way is to use the "--enable-pythoninterp" (aka +python, feature)
when building vim--no lisp required. Here is a entry I wrote a while
ago on just that:

  <http://brianray.chipy.org/2004/Jul>

The vim module allows total scripting of VIM <http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/if_pyth.html
 >.

Here is another resource for scripting vim from Python:

  <http://www.tummy.com/Community/Presentations/vimpython-20070225/vim.html

Another, probably more obvious, way to use Python with VIM, is to
write Python with VIM.  You can really set up a whole IDE:

  <http://blog.sontek.net/2008/05/11/python-with-a-modular-ide-vim/>

One addition I would consider from the above is using vimshell, where
in a split screen you can use whatever shell tool you want--like run
iPython, for example.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog