[Chicago] DVCS Workflows?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Wed Nov 19 19:15:44 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:46:04AM -0600, Carl Karsten wrote: too bad

> in the words of Evan Henshaw Plath, Git has “made forking projects
> manageable”

Git (or, very likely, any of several other dvcses) makes
single-developer projects much more pleasant, IME&O.  Subversion makes
you think branching has to be painful, but it's wrong.  <wink>

> GitHub have been able to easily layer social networking on top to track
> connections between contributors.

Github has its points, but it totally ignores anything that isn't just
another file checked in to a git repository.  The "social aspects"
seems mostly hype to me, but maybe I'm missing something - seems to be
nothing much more than displaying what [github only?] repo is your
"origin" or upstream.

Oh, there's a wikilike thing, but the one time I tried using it it
didn't seem to ever recognize changes, at least not in the alleged
preview.  Maybe it's a non-wiki wikilike thing that I just don't
understand how to stroke.  <shrug>

--
Microsoft, which used to say all the time that the software business
was ruthlessly competitive, is now matched against a competitor whose