[Chicago] DVCS Workflows?

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:39:00 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:

> > GitHub have been able to easily layer social networking on top to track
> > connections between contributors.
>
> Github has its points, but it totally ignores anything that isn't just
> another file checked in to a git repository.  The "social aspects"
> seems mostly hype to me, but maybe I'm missing something - seems to be
> nothing much more than displaying what [github only?] repo is your
> "origin" or upstream.

Github's social features only work when other forks are also on Github. The
github gem which gives you a command line utility by the same name provides
some features that I think make Github even more interesting, like showing
you any other forks of the project that have commits that you don't. This
really enables a truly distributed way to hack on an open source project
because I don't have to wait for the main project to accept patches, and I
also don't need to resort to the manual process of tracking down interesting
patches on websites and mailing lists and having to main them locally
myself.

Also, the ability to watch a project you're interested in and having their
commits show up in your news feed is pretty neat, and a good way to follow
what's new in a project you find interesting.

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://www.offbytwo.com