[Chicago] DVCS Workflows?

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 00:59:44 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM, <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    >> But then what?
>
>    Carl> then you paste the url you are given.
>
>    Carl> best to just try it.
>
> Ok, so I paste the "git clone ..." command and then clone the repo it
> created for me:
>
>    git clone git://gist.github.com/27274.git gist-27274
>
> I have a little git repo with one file in it.  How is that better than
> viewing a little snippet of code in irc (aside for irc's line-by-line
> nature)?  Why does it matter that I told github that the code I typed was
> Python?  It gave me a file with a .sc extension (which means what?).  Where
> does the syntax highlighting and stuff come into play?  Seems like much ado
> about nothing to me.
>
> Skip

You don't have to use git to check out the file. You can send someone that
URL (here's a dumb one I just created http://gist.github.com/27282)

This lets someone see that file with syntax highlighting in a browser,
instead of in an IRC window, etc. The fact that it's a git repo is a
convenience intended for easily contributing patches to an open source
project without having to use git. You create a patch, upload to github and
then the developers of that software can check out your change using git,
just to make it easier (instead of having to copy and paste your change or
download an attachment). Even cooler though is that you or someone else can
make changes to your patch, say to bring it up to date with latest trunk
before it gets accepted, and github will keep track of the history. You can
either work with it completely through the web interface (for the people new
to git) or check it out as a regular git repository. I think it's kinda cool
to be able to collaborate that way with someone who might not know much
about git or source control tools in general, getter than posting revisions
and revisions of a patch to a bug tracker or sending patches around on
mailing lists.

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://www.offbytwo.com