[Chicago] dec. meeting

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Sat Nov 22 23:23:17 CET 2008

On Nov 21, 2008, at 11:51 PM, Josh Cronemeyer wrote:

> Pizza 6:30, Talks 7.  Check and check.  I'm so excited about the
> meeting that I made a flyer and posted an image of it here http://www.cuberick.com/2008/11/chipy-meeting-at-thoughtworks.html
>    Pass it around.

haha. hey, cool!  That is funny.  Do snakes eat pizza... or people,
for that matter... hmmm.

On a similar note, we realize Ruby is important to ThoughtWorks. At
Chipy, we have those who write applications that compete with RoR
stuff; although, we have a really huge variety of other use cases--
everything from: automation, scientific, mobil, video, print, and ...
All are encouraged to attend.  This may be a good chance to either
show some unique Python applications outside of the whole agile
applications space or specifically focused on this space. Where does
Python compete, where does it differ, and what did we steal... vis
versa.

I recall a popular Python programmer recently had some bathroom
reading that was loaded with Ruby examples. I was curious and asked
the purpose. Evidently, they too were writing a book chapter on
something Python oriented and just was reading more.. Nevertheless, it
would be foolish to ignore the common ground between the two
languages.  Just so as long Python is the focus, I am game.

> The only detail we need to work out is how to handle getting
> everyone in the building.  It would be nice if I had a list of the
> names of people coming so I can give it to the ninjas at the
> security desk.  Alternatively I could just lurk in the lobby of the
> building looking for people with python tattoos...

One way to get a list is to ask for RSVP's in the invitation.  It
never works nearly 100%. Many show up who never RSVP.  If you want
your email posted as the place to RSVP, please let me know. Typically,
I we send our official announcement 1week - several days before the
meeting, depending on how organized we are that month.

I anticipate this meeting will have a high attendance.  There
certainly seems to be a buzz, already. And let's face it, Cartoons help!

Regards,

Brian Ray