[Chicago] auto incrementing - what options do we have?

John-Stockton Irick irick at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 10 15:58:53 CEST 2008

I'm going to assume that you're talking about mysql.

>From mysql.org
"
 To start with an AUTO_INCREMENT value other than 1, you can set that
value with CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE, like this:

mysql> ALTER TABLE tbl AUTO_INCREMENT = 100;
"

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/example-auto-increment.html

Hope that helps.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if anybody has a good strategy for auto incrementing fields?
>
> I want to auto increment field called "case#" .
>
> I have a choice of database auto increment on field "case#" or do it
> myself? (correct? No other choices exists? or something in between?)
>
> 1. I would like to be able to do pick a number where we will start
> doing a case#?  (1,000,000+)
> 2. Reserver a case# for a special group which can auto increment case#
> between 2,000,000-2,999,999, and add them as they come.
> 3. I don't want to use (system_id)
>
> So it seems as the only way is to make my primary key:
> case# - unique key, primary, not auto incrementing and let some
> program manage auto incrementing.
>
> What options have worked for you in this situation?
>
> So right now options are:
> 1. let db auto increment
> 2. Hold the next case# in a separate database table, and let my
> program use it to find next case# value. How would I lock/unlock the
> next case# to make sure there is no race condition and each case#, and
> there is no holes?
> 3. Any other options?
>
> Have people used other strategy that is semi-automatic, and would work
> for these cases?
>
> Thanks,
> Lucas
>

> --
> Python and OpenOffice documents and templates
> http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/OpenOffice
> Fast and Easy Backup solution with Bacula
> http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/Bacula

JS Irick
Lead Engineer
Cacioppo Labs
Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience
773-702-6279