[Chicago] auto incrementing - what options do we have?

Garrett Smith g at rrett.us.com
Fri Oct 10 17:38:57 CEST 2008

Auto-increment keys don't generally have meaningful values. If your various cases have meaning in your application (presuming they must if you want to include them in the schema), consider using another column to store case-specific data and let the auto-increment column just do its thing.

If you really want to hand craft the key values, the classic approach would be to use a table that holds your next key for each type. You need to read from that table, increment the applicable value and then write your new records within an isolated transaction (want read locks on everything you touch). Not the best approach for super high throughput applications, but unless you're planning on a wildly successful public facing web site, it should be fine.

It's common to use a stored procedure to increment the counter.

You can also use an abbreviated uuid, e.g. taking the last four or five characters, so your keys might look like a-89sj2, a-8s9sn, b-9sjnd, etc. These are more user friendly than true uuids. You'll need to anticipate key collisions in your application code and keep trying with new keys until the records make it into the table.