[Chicago] Miro + set top

David Durham, Jr. david.durham.jr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:57:06 CEST 2008

On 10/10/08, Milan Andric <mandric at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I find annoying is that dvd vendors don't put network ports
>  on dvd players.  Why does a guy have to sacrifice a goat to get a
>  cheap $.50 piece of hardware and basic video decoder software on his
>  dvd player?
>
>  These things sell like hot cakes all over the world except where
>  people have lots of extra money to throw around on their dvd
>  collections.
>
>  http://www.amazon.com/Avel-Linkplayer-Multimedia-Player-Networkable/dp/B000F8M6TA?tag=particculturf-20

If all you want to do is send/stream your media across a local
network, Popcorn hour is an option:

   http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

If you're looking to turn a spare computer into your psychopathic
media megalomaniac, here's a link to relevant MythTV (and thus linux)
hardware info:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Hardware

Hauppauge products are prominently displayed here:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Video_capture_cards

Of course, MythTV provides, I think, everything a PopcornHour machine
will and then some, but is currently not safe for tech-n00bs.

Now, I don't think MythTV currently does what Miro can.  It does have
some plugins for browsing multimedia frin feeds-based sources.  So
there's some crossover with Miro there, but I don't recall anything
for publishing content like Miro supports (I guess -- that bit in Miro
is still kind of fuzzy for me).

Anyway, maybe it would be interesting to see a Miro plugin for MythTV.
 Or if Miro added support for a MythTV backend as a kind of local
feeds source, that would be useful because the cross-platform
myth-frontends space is kind of sparse, but slowly filling up.

-Dave