[Chicago] Integrated wiki + forums

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Oct 17 01:04:23 CEST 2008

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Are any of these site configurations rolled up as a template/project
> thingy that one could use for tire kicking?

You can run the large but pretty reliable build for opencore:
http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/getting-started -- it
includes all the infrastructure we use, including things like process
management, and I think it sets up the layout we use for managing
upgrades.  ClueMapper seems to use buildout, which should also be pretty
straight-forward to build
(http://projects.serverzen.com/pm/p/cluemapper/wiki/ClueMapperInstall).

Certainly there's some substantial overhead (mostly conceptual, not CPU)
to using this kind of integration technique.  For myself it's the
integration technique I'm by far most interested in, so I'm just sucking
it up and trying to improve it when it seems clear.

I'm hoping to integrate a few other things sometime soon, in some
yet-to-be-named stack.  repoze.who for authentication, I think, probably
with a separate product (that a coworker, Rob Miller, might be inclined
to write, probably in the repoze namespace) to do actual user
management.  It would send the actual auth info via an HTTP header
(probably signed), and then you'd have a little piece of middleware to
move it from the (not entirely trusted) header to
environ['REMOTE_USER'], which is more conventional (and quite a few
systems already support or have plugins to read).

For passing trusted headers around we have a simple piece of middleware:
https://svn.openplans.org/svn/signedheaders/trunk -- the format is
pretty simple, and somewhere in the repository there's also code to
consume those headers in PHP.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org